LGBTQ Cultural Competency Training
Facilitator: Guest Artist: Lighthouse Youth & Family Services
Time: 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
Price: FREE, but registration is required.
Open to: All Genders 16+
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Questioning (LGBTQ) young people are often subject to harassment at school, erasure in faith communities, rejection from their families and hostility in youth-serving systems. This systematic abuse leads LGBTQ youth to have significantly higher rates of depression, suicide, substance abuse and homelessness, to name just a few harmful outcomes.
This training from Lighthouse Youth & Family Services helps to promote safe, competent, and supportive care and welcoming environments for LGBTQ young people.
Training Goals and Objectives
- Explore personal values regarding LGBTQ youth and young adults and learn to balance personal beliefs with professional responsibilities.
- Identify issues of risk, challenges and strengths specific to LGBTQ youth, their families, other caregivers and service delivery systems.
- Develop an action plan that will develop or enhance professional and agency cultural competency.
- Increase competence in discussing sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Identify affirmative interventions and community resources for LGBTQ youth, their families, other caregivers and service providers.
Women Writing for (a) Change will provide breakfast, lunch, and snacks. Breakfast available at 8:30 am and the training begins at 9:00 am.
Location & Special Instructions
Women Writing for (a) Change
6906 Plainfield Road
Cincinnati, OH 45236