Frequently Asked Questions
Please read through our frequently asked questions. If you don't find the answer you're looking for feel free to contact us through our online contact form or call the school at 513-272-1171.
Q. I'm nervous about being a newcomer in class! Is everyone else an experienced writer?
A. We have writers with a variety of experience levels, including other newcomers, journal writers, poets and essayists. The atmosphere is welcoming and non-competitive. Remember, too, that everyone was new to this class at one time.
Q. Are scholarships available?
A. Yes! We strive to reduce financial barriers for individuals who have need. We offer scholarships for 25%, 50% and 75% of tuition, depending on need and availability of funds. Learn more.
Q. Do we have time to write in class, or do I bring something I've already written?
A. We encourage you to bring something you’ve already written, with copies to share in a small group of 3-4 participants. That said, there is almost always time to write in class as well.
Q. I've never written before, but I've always wanted to try. How can Women Writing for (a) Change® help get me started?
A. We give you a variety of writing prompts and inspiring readings and resources for writers of every experience level, including beginners. We will provide tips and techniques to get you started.
Q. What kind of feedback will I receive on my writing? I'm traumatized by red pencils!
A. We emphasize and practice giving encouraging feedback, and only the kind of feedback requested by the writer.
Q. I'm reluctant to share my most personal writing. What can I expect if I choose to share it?
A. WWf(a)C writing circles provide a safe, nurturing and supportive atmosphere. We request that each member of the circle promise confidentiality to the other writers, so that a writer who wants to share something personal will feel safe doing so.
Q. What practices or processes make WWf(a)C unique?
A. Choosing to write in community and participate fully in a writing class is a gift to oneself. Our writing circles employ a variety of practices that are designed to inspire creativity while providing a safe, nurturing, supportive community in which to go deep and learn to trust one’s own voice. We weave together quiet time, time for writing, the opportunity for deep listening to other writers, and equal time for everyone to be heard. We also practice giving and receiving constructive and encouraging feedback on our writing in very intentional ways. The health of the whole group is cared for with time for weekly reflections on the gifts and challenges of the class.
Q: What are my payment options?
A: WWf(a)C requires a non-refundable deposit OR payment in full to hold your seat in our regular classes. Each class will have specific information regarding deposits/payment in full. Summer camps require payment in full at the time of registration (unless a scholarship application has been submitted). Offsite Retreats require a non-refundable deposit at the time of registration. Students can pay upon registration via PayPal or can mail a check to WWf(a)C within seven (7) days of registering.
Q. What is your cancellation policy?
A. See policies for each class type below.
- Regular Classes: Tuition is non-refundable but can be credited towards a future class if the student withdraws no later than 14 days prior to the beginning of class. No refunds for missed classes. All credits must be used within one (1) year of receipt.
- Summer Camps: Tuition is non-refundable, but can be credited towards a future class (minus an administration fee of $75) if the student withdraws no later than 21 days prior to the first day of camp. All credits must be used within one (1) year of receipt. In the event a camp is cancelled or rescheduled due to lack of enrollment, students will be notified as soon as possible and will be given the option to receive a full credit for a future class or a full refund.
- For Offsite Retreats:
- WWf(a)C requires a non-refundable deposit at the time of registration. Deposits range from $50 to $100, depending upon the retreat. The specific deposit amount required will be listed within the Retreat description. Please note, your registration is not confirmed until we receive your deposit. Students can pay registration via PayPal or can submit a check to WWf(a)C.
- Remaining balance is due by the dates specified on the website's information for that specific Retreat.
- Cancellation policies for each Retreat are specified in the website info for that specific Retreat.
- All tuition credits must be used within one year of receipt.
In the event a class is cancelled or rescheduled due to lack of enrollment, students will be notified as soon as possible and will be given the option to receive credit for a future class or a full refund. Thank you!